Gardens received a grand opening May 19, 2017
Linda Ulland Memorial Gardens (LUMG) is an environmental, educational, natural destination for all ages. A unique collection of representational gardens including forest foraging, wildflower, butterfly gardens, deer-resistant garden plantings, rain garden, foot prints and ‘house’ garden highlighting houses for bees, bats, toads, and insects that are beneficial to gardens, and much more.
PROGRAM at 1 p.m.
- Welcome and emcee - Corrine Hodapp, Crosslake Supervisor, US Army Corps of Engineers
- History and introduction - Lynn Scharenbroich, Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association, LUMG committee representative
- Ulland Family representative - Erik Ullanderson, nephew of Linda Ulland
- Acknowledgement of Partners - Colonel Calkins, US Army Corps of Engineers
- Garden Blessing - Father George Zeck
- Ribbon Cutting
Refreshments were served following the ceremony. The Learning Center exhibit room and the Gardens were explored by guests and visitors before and after the dedication ceremony.
Recognition and gratitude was expressed personally by Colonel Samuel Calkins, US Army Corps of Engineers to each of the original partners of the Linda Ulland Memorial Garden. Each partner was thanked with a framed certificate of appreciation, sincere smile, handshake from Col. Calkins, a photo opp, and the chance to say a few words to the attentive audience of grand opening guests.
PARTNERING is an essential tool that allows the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to pool scarce resources and to promote coordinated, focused, and consistent mutual efforts in order to successfully meet our recreation and stewardship missions. The Cross Lake Recreation Area has embraced this reality and is committed to fully exploring the potential development of new public-private partnerships to leverage limited appropriated funds and human resources.
THANK YOU PARTNERS!!
- Crosslake Ideal Lions
- JM Plein Consulting
- MN Backyard Birds
- Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association
- U of M- Extension Central Region Sustainable Development Partnership - grant support, spring, 2014
- US Army Corps of Engineers, Crosslake Recreation Area
- Whitefish Area Lodging Association
Linda Ulland Memorial Gardens
US Army Corps of Engineer’s Cross Lake Recreation Area
35507 County Road 66, Crosslake, MN 56442