Begun in the 1930’s, this quiet location is still to this day a haven for the harried.
Originally a family farm, it’s still easy to pick out the location that was once a crop field, now a green space recreation area.
To accomplish the task of laying a road between the many wetlands and lakes in the area, a system of dikes was developed by the Corps of Engineers.
From the road it’s easy to see the floating grassy island in the center of the Rush Lake waters just west of Ye Olde Wharf....or is it?
Once a corrugated metal building that had long since outlived its usefulness, the idea was hatched to transform it into a restaurant/bar and marine gas station.
Originally built out of simple timbers, this important bridge was moved and later restructured to comply with new road standards.
Dotted with beautifully preserved islands and covering 924 acres, Rush Lake is one of the medium-sized lakes of the Whitefish Chain.
Home to the Corps of Engineers Campground on the southeast side, Cross Lake, at 1184 acres, is one of the larger lakes among the fourteen others that make up the Whitefish Chain.
A fierce battle between the Objibwe and Dakota Indians took place near this site in 1801.