Hometown History Comin' Round the Corner
On Valentine’s Day evening, members of the Jenkins City Council took a close look at something
dear to their hearts…their hometown history. A mock-up of the interpretive panel outlining the story of how the City of Jenkins developed from a simple fur trading post to the growing Byway community it is today was reviewed. Suggested changes will be made and sent out by email for review and comments prior to 3/1/11, with final approval expected at the March City Council meeting. A tentative installation date is set for early May at the Gateway Gazebo site near AmericInn.
Highlights of the panel include:
- Story of the Fort Poualak vessel, an amazing Jenkins area discovery that dates back roughly 1400 years ago. The clay vessel was used to cook wild rice.
- Timeline citing important dates, including 1886-the year George and Isabella Jenkins moved to the area to manage the Clough Brothers Camp at Hay Creek Ranch, 1904- when Jenkins was incorporated into a Village and the 1920’s when Gleason Boat Company opened for business in Jenkins.
- Historic photos representing settlements, livelihood and transportation appear on the panel.
The interpretive panel has been developed through a partnership offered by the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association called Panel Partners. The design was created by Mary Plein of JM Plein Consulting. Content was gathered from old records and journals as well as several meetings with long-time Jenkins residents. Hosted by Jenkins residents, Donna and Steve Stricker, these meetings produced priceless stories that will be featured in full form on the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway Association’s website.
Learn more about the City of Jenkins!